To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rubber Gloves, Soap




The really aggressive orange of these gloves is not photographing accurately, but I want to try painting them again anyway. One of the problems I have working in this small format is that my brain's default setting is always, LIFE SIZE. I usually have a long period at the beginning of a small painting getting the drawing right for the canvas size. And I always think of Bonnard, who worked on large unstretched canvases so he didn't have to deal with this issue. However, I like very much doing these small paintings and plan to re-train my brain to adapt. Unlike Bonnard, who could do anything he wanted because he made the most tender beautiful paintings in the world.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jean,
    Connais-tu Edouard Vuillard, école de Bonnard.
    J'adore, il travaillait les intérieurs d'une manière magique.
    Ton gant, il est plein de vie. Il est las! et a certainement travaillé un bon moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci, Martine, vous êtes très drôle. Et oui, Vuillard est mon autre amour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jean, My brain, too, has that default for life-size that I'm trying to overcome, for the same reason as you: one can learn so much more by doing lots of small paintings. Although, there is something to learn by zooming in on larger objects and focusing on abstracting a composition of real things. My other brain defect is to paint objects individually while forgetting to pay attention to the entire canvas. I am finally painting again! I love Bonnard!

    ReplyDelete