To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Chiles, Cherries



I have been watching reruns (Netflix) of the PBS Art 21 series and came across one of my favorite contemporary painters, Susan Rothenberg. Among many other things, she talked of
dirtying up colors on purpose, particularly whites, which she is famous for. Her remarks helped me think of white differently and to let go of the need to preserve a clean white, but to get right in and grunge it up. Still it reads as white. This photo can't get all the varieties here, but it is a more interesting white than I've been able to get before. And the darks are darker.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice, Jean!! When I took Carol Marine's workshop she said white is not white, but varieties of gray. It does make a difference. You did a great job here. Your cherries and chilies are beautifully rendered!

    ReplyDelete