To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, July 15, 2011

Bowl and Batik Napkin

Today I only had time for a study, which mercifully, is taking less time to do every day. Something about an interruption in the routine of the morning means a wreck of a painting day -- not a phone call or something like that, but if I have to leave the house and marshall my wits to deal with a non painting issue, suddenly it's 4 pm and I'm tired and hungry and haven't finished anything. I think a painting life requires protection of large blocks of time, and then soon you have the thought, I have used all this time and what do I have to show for it, BUPKIS!
However, I just saw a wonderful documentary (Art City: Episode 1) that included the great Agnes Martin, who at 86 said two things that got my complete attention. (1) She painted for 20 years and knew she had not found her voice, and she burned every one of those paintings. {TWENTY YEARS} (2) You don't have to listen to anybody. AHHHH.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful gorgeous plums. I am loving the rounded form you got on these.
    I hear ya and really making that time to paint. All about the priorities:) As far as Agnes Martin...20 years? I was hoping for a bit sooner!! :)

    ReplyDelete