To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, May 11, 2012

Mugshot 54



I am in another short Jennifer Balkan class and we are working mighty hard on those values again. This time I blocked in all the dark areas, then the light area, then I painted everything into those.
Also, I gave some thought to background rather than whacking it in (aaaugh!) and used the color of the turning edge, or the mid tone that lies between shadow and light.  In this case it was viridian. That is a reflected light in the nostril...lots of glare on this.

2 comments:

  1. Another great self portrait!! I like the cool and warm skin tones. I would really like to see this one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Linda. This one has to be amazing in person. Values are great and make the painting more dramatic. Wonderful colors and brushstrokes.

    I also appreciate you putting your thoughts about your process down. I'm learning a lot from you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete