To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, February 21, 2011

Cyclamen with Rose Background

I used to buy these flowers when I lived in Boston, in the dead of dreary winter of course, and they were so intensely colored, like a flame, except for the white ones which were altogether pure. And they are in sort of frozen motion with their petals flung out every which way, not like a flower at all, but more an idea of a flower. I always managed to kill them fast, but here in Texas I have figured out their living requirements: a sill in strong light and a saucer underneath to put water in, instead of watering from the top. And water every day. I have managed to keep them happy for a couple of months now, and I have another pale pink one, that I rescued and have in rehab hoping to have a go at it soon.

4 comments:

  1. Très beau ce cyclamen... je viens de planter des jacinthes pour la dollhouse... Bisous et bonne peinture

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely painting, and lovely description of the flower! There is a bank on 6th street in Austin--it used to be the gold bank building--anyway, they have a courtyard in the bank. They plant dozens of cyclamen plants in the courtyard every winter. They are exposed to the elements, and they flourish in the damp cold outdoors all winter.

    Thanks for your kind comment on my blog. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love the cyclamen plants. so nice ! Gotta tell you, Jean, I've been captivated by your blog, and not just with the paintings, but also with all your written expression !!! I went back to March of 2010, and read EVERY entry (it took me a total of 3 days to do it !) of course, I'd read for awhile, and then start back later to see more posts, etc.
    I love the way you describe your challenges, triumphs, and tribulations. I love the cupcakes, and all the variations, too. Your students work was fun, also. I was wondering if you would consider trading links with me. I haven't been at it as long as you, but I would consider it an honor. Anyhoo, wanted to tell you how much I admire your blog.... Sandy Haynes

    ReplyDelete