To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, March 19, 2012

Mugshot 49: Possible Family Member

I have had this photo for awhile, thinking how I would go at it, than finally I had the idea. I didn't want it to be prettified or babied, hence the brown background. I have had a bad cold during the painting so there have been lots of stops and starts, never a good thing, but I kept at it even when it was clear it was overworked, just to finish and see what I could do with it. The child is very serious in the photo, and I wanted to get that. Also, of course, the luminous skin. I think a large part of getting beautiful skin is using lots of thick paint, which makes skin on all its own. I didn't accomplish this, somehow I forgot about loading up the brush. Anyway, I'll have another go at it when I'm using all my cylinders. But I did like the positioning of the head in the space and the size of her, that was the most successful part.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better! This is one of the few successful child paintings~ to my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Une très jolie bouille que ce portrait...
    Je vous souhaite un prompt rétablissement.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great job, Jean. Her features are well done....beautiful little lips and nose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's perfect. That swollen mouth and puffed cheeks and pensive eyes. You captured her seriousness without making her sad, although it still brought tears to my eyes...but I am a bit of a sap. The way you have her positioned...the hold of her shoulders and slight upward tilt of her head is spot on. Truly, it takes my breath away. I can't imagine what you might produce on all cylinders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jean... She's WONDERFUL !!! she's perfect the way she is ! great 'capture' of her baby-ness

    ReplyDelete