To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jean, Small

Another head study, this time on a small board, 8 inches square. I have a terrifically hard time doing anything that is not life size, it is a terrible brain glitch. But with more drawing, which is the cure for perceptual problems (art only), I am getting better at it. This again was with minimal light -- the only way I can get a good light from the side so that some part of form is in shadow is to turn off the overheads and then I am plunged into darkness. This is why I look like I am twenty in this painting. Whatever....I like working from life so much more than using the photograph, maybe everybody feels this way. Things are so much clearer. Another class tonight with Jennifer Balkan, so looking forward to it.

4 comments:

  1. great skin tones jean... and i think the lights and shadows are very evocative. good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job. Love the colors and brushwork. The hair came out great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a wonderful job with this. Beautiful skin tones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I opened my computer, and there you were, looking at me. I immediately knew it was you! You are getting great at these portraits, Jean. The warm and cool colors and play of light on the planes of the face are awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete