To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, April 26, 2010

Butter





I have been thinking about what causes tightness in the painting. My painting, really, because I don't know about anybody else. It isn't being careful, it's being afraid I won't get it right, and then going back to fix it. I can always fix it, with time and patience, but the aliveness of the first strokes are gone. When I fully understand the structure of the form, I am not worried about accuracy and I have a better chance of getting it down right the first time, so things don't need cleaning up. I think tightness in painting might be a drawing issue -- not enough drawing skill.
What I want is that aliveness in the paint itself, it's visible plasticity.

No comments:

Post a Comment