I've been missing the bird, so I went for another cupcake pairing. Lately I have been using a burnt sienna wash on the gessobord and drying it well with a blast from the hair dryer, so it's good and dry when I put down the paint. In this case, it gave a pink tinge to the white area which I like. Also I have been making a concerted effort NOT to blend at all, but to mix a transition tone when the value difference is too great between paint pieces or shapes, maybe you call them patches. My brain resists this! It takes more time and concentration, I have to slow down and figure out what the transition tone is and how to get it. Of course I am thinking this will only happen at first, and soon I will be figuring those tones easily and naturally, and I am really looking forward to this.