To have a daily painting emailed to you every day, please enter your address below.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, January 7, 2011

Been to L. A. #2

This was an interesting painting to do and I learned a lot. I didn't know what to put down first - some people say work back to front, some say front to back - and a thousand other shoulds. So I just started with the sky because that was the thing I was most interested in. I used a red orange ground and laid in the low whites and blues and couldn't get a good build up of paint on the surface, you know, really thick for those whites. So I left that and went on to the rest of it, trying to stay loose, even though this doesn't look loose. Finally toward the end I realized I needed a softer brush to lay the paint on thickly, because a stiffer brush picks up the paint after the first hit on the surface. Sure enough, a sable layers it on, very good to know for next time.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed readying your comments about the process, Jean. I have those aha moments, too.... Oh, that's how you do that! I can read about something, but it's not the same as experiencing it.

    ReplyDelete